While the focus of If You Smell What is Cooking is very much on food and recipes, this was always created to be an outlet for my passion for both food and drink. As well as great food I also love great drink as well, specifically beers and whiskies, and I’ve decided to branch the site out to include beer and whisky reviews as well, with the potential for other spirits as well – though my knowledge of those aren’t as great and would be strictly from a “neutral” perspective.
I’ll be breaking down my reviews in two ways. For beers I’ll be rating them on:
- Appearance – How the beer looks, after all we always eat and drink with our eyes first
- Aroma – What sort of smells can you get from the beer? What hits you first?
- Flavour – Probably the most important thing – if a beer doesn’t taste great, then what’s the point of drinking it?
- Mouthfeel – Is it smooth? Light? Heavy? Oily? Taste is important but so is how it feels.
And for whiskies, they’ll be rated by:
- Nose – What aromas does it have? What can you pick up from it?
- Palate – What flavours can you pick up when the whisky is in your mouth?
- Finish – What is the whisky like after you’ve swallowed the whisky? Is it smooth? Is it quite spicy? Is it a harsh finish?
Obviously, all of these will be taken from my own perspective and because everyone’s tastes differ wildly I don’t expect it to always align with the general consensus of other beer and whisky reviewers, and my palate my not be as sophisticated as some, but I do like to think I have an idea of what makes a beer or whisky enjoyable. But if there’s anything in my reviews you disagree with, or if you think could be done better, do let me know.
To get things started (at least on the beer front) I ordered a case of the “Customer Favourites” (pictured above) from Beer Hawk which includes:
- Stone Berlin IPA
- Brewdog Punk IPA
- Bosteels Kwak
- Tuatara Helluva
- Westmalle Dubbel
- Harviestoun Broken Dial
- Magic Rock Dark Arts
- Camden Hells
- Goose Island Honkers Ale
- And Union Unfiltered Lager
- Roosters Baby-Faced Assassin
- Unertl Weissbier Export
So expect to see these reviews start appearing on the site in the coming weeks! In the meantime, if there’s anything you’d like to see reviewed on the site, just drop me a message.